Friday, March 9, 2007

My Two Sense

Passive Playa Hata

I know I’m going to get a lot of heat for this, but I officially have a problem with Beyonce. You’d think she is happy for the recent success her co-star Jennifer Hudson received in Dreamgirls, but there have been a few things she’s been doing that have me wondering on the contrary. The cream of the crop comes from the recent huge photo ops they both received. Hudson appeared on the cover of Vogue which is monumental because she is the third African-American ever to make the cover. To one-up her, though, Beyonce gets the cover of Sports Illustrated. And what makes this significant is because she is the first non-model to grace the cover.

I’ve sat back and seen the passive-playa hatin’ she’s been doing with little to no objection, but the respective mag covers became the crux of this quiet feud. I can’t understand why someone who’s at the top of their game would want to squander the hopes of someone up-and-coming who’s making great strides building their career. Beyonce has had a successful run thus far within a group as well as solo. She has a few credited roles to add to her resume, millions of albums sold, a successful clothing line and perfume, and not to mention the countless endorsement deals out the wazoo. Why, then, does she feel the need to beat J-Hud to the punch at every turn?

I probably’ll never understand why someone young, successful, and rich (three things I would love to be right now) would feel threatened when a new face steps on the scene. Maybe it’s a Hollywood thing, but if I had enough money to retire under 30 and popularity that trumps my high school days I would do exactly what I’m doing now; sitting on my couch watching television while punching away on my laptop. But alas, I can only enjoy this during my weekends off from my blue-collar purgatory. I suppose the standards are different over in La La Land, and staying hot and relevant is a drug all in itself. I guess that’s why any and everyone will take a reality show deal, do questionable roles, and write tell-all books just to keep that proverbial limelight shining on them for a little while longer. But Beyonce didn’t have to do that. Why then?

I’d like to say that, more than not, that it is her outspoken father/manager Mathew who has a hand in this. He did seem a little outraged when his daughter/client didn’t get as much shine as J-Hud did around the Dreamgirls hype. But damn, didn’t she make you enough money and one hell of a portfolio already? I guess daddy has three Phantom payments that need to be posted on time, huh? Whether it be his or Bee’s fault, one thing’s for certain J-Hud is blowing up and she cannot be denied. Mathew better recognize a stallion when he sees one. Instead of beating her, have her join you…

1 comment:

Doves_Caged_Bird said...

I hope I don't step on anyone's toes while I give my comment. But I love your blog & I wanted to express MY opinion. Lately, everyone has been pitting Beyonce against Jennifer Hudson. For the life of me I don't understand why? I'm a huge fan of both of the talented black ladies. But it seems as if we as black people have to always create controversy when our ladies are doing well. Beyonce & Jennifer both have said there is no feud. Why should Beyonce stop her grind because Jennifer is doing great & why should Jennifer stop hers because Beyonce is doing great. They are talented women on 2 different ends of the spectrum. They don't do the same kind of music. Beyonce is pop & Jennifer is a belter. But there is room for them BOTH. Im proud Jennifer was on the cover of Vogue, but i'm also proud Beyonce was on the cover of Sports Illustrated. I just wish we as women could start pulling together & encouraging each other versus trying to tear each other down. I know you are only expressing your opinion. However, "they" (white people) love it when we do this to each other. There are only a few of us out there who are doing our thing. Let them all GET IT WHILE THEY CAN. Keep up the good work with your blog. I hope I am welcomed back. Much love ~DovesCagedBird~